Below is 11point.com’s list of “the most hypocritical, ignorant, and, based on the content of the books, ironic” bans:
- Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury: The sci-fi classic is about a future government that bans and burns books. ‘Nuff said?
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain: The anti-slavery classic is still banned in places for its use of the word “nigger.”
- The Satanic Verses, Salman Rushdie: A book satirizing “narrow-minded” aspects of Islam inspired Iran’s Ayatollah Khomeini to put out a hit on the author.
- Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl: Banned in Alabama for being “a real downer.”
- The Harry Potter series, JK Rowling: Religious watchdog groups outlawed a series that teaches “love, understanding, and tolerance.”
For the complete list, click here.